Part 1. Generalities and guidelines for the selection and execution of climatic tests:
- Standard atmospheric conditions
- Selection of the appropriate test methodology
- Climatic categories
Part 2. Lists and details of the different test, their main objective and their most relevant characteristics:
IEC 60068-2-1 Cold
The goal of this test is to determine the capabilities of the equipment or components when working in low temperatures. This method uses constant conditions at low temperatures and is subdivided into the following:
- Cold tests for samples that do not dissipate heat.
- With sudden changes in temperature. Aa
- With gradual changes in temperature. Ab
- Cold tests for samples that dissipate heat.
- With gradual changes in temperature. Ad
IEC 60068-2-2 Dry heat
The goal of this test is to determine the correct functioning of the equipment when it is used, transported or stored at high temperatures. This method uses constant high-temperature, dry-heat conditions. The tests of this method are subdivided into:
- Heat-dry tests for products that do not dissipate heat.
- With gradual changes in temperature. Bb
- Heat-dry tests for samples that dissipate heat
- With gradual changes in temperature. Bd
IEC 60068-2-5 Solar radiation tests
This method assesses the anticipated effects of solar radiation on product surfaces. Specify ways to test equipment or components under simulated solar radiation conditions and investigate how much effect solar radiation has on equipment in the presence of moisture.
IEC 60068-2-5 Specifies two test methods.
- Sa: Thermal effect test. The Sa method involves irradiating samples in a test chamber at controlled temperature and humidity.
- Sb: Climate test. The Sb method incorporates water spray.
IEC 60068-2-6 Vibration (sinusoidal)
It is applied to equipment and components that are subject to vibrations in a harmonic pattern - due to rotational forces, pulsating pressure and oscillation - during transportation or use. The test is intended to determine mechanical weaknesses and degradations. IEC 60068-2-6 exposes samples to sinusoidal vibrations in a specified frequency range for a specified time.
IEC 60068-2-11 Test Ka: Salt mist
This is called "salt spray" or "salt spray test" and it maintains the climate under constant conditions. The duration of the test depends on the severity. It is used to evaluate the corrosion resistance of protective paints or coatings.
IEC 60068-2-13 Low air pressure
The objective is to investigate the ability of the equipment or product to be used, stored or transported under conditions of low air pressure at room temperature. This test is also called the "altitude test".
IEC 60068-2-14 Thermal shock
This method is used to determine if the equipment or product can withstand sudden changes in temperature. It is a crucial test due to the frequency that sudden changes in temperature can appear, either due to transport from warm outside temperatures to cold interior conditions or vice versa or due to exposure to climatic conditions. IEC 60068-2-14 is recommended for the evaluation of the electrical and mechanical performance of products, the suitability of components, materials and combinations of materials to withstand sudden changes in temperature, and evaluation of the suitability of the construction of components to withstand artificial efforts.
IEC 60068-2-30 Damp heat, cyclic
This test observes how the products or equipment withstand during use, storage or transport under conditions of high humidity combined with cyclical changes in temperature. The temperature and humidity cycles in this method produce condensation on the surface of the samples. Samples must be evaluated in their "packaging" if the test serves to verify the behavior within the "packaging" while they are transported or stored. Consider using IEC 60068-2-38 for small and lightweight samples where it is difficult to produce condensation on the sample surface.
IEC 60068-2-38 Cyclical test of temperature and humidity
This composite test assesses how products or equipment resist the effects of deterioration under high temperatures, high humidity and cold conditions. It is used to discover defects in samples caused by "breathing" rather than absorbing moisture.
IEC 60068-2-39 Temperature or temperature and humidity combined with low air pressure tests
This method provides procedures for testing equipment or components under a combination of temperature or temperature and humidity with low air pressure. Products must function without signs of degradation. The combination of climates can have adverse effects on gaskets and components.
IEC 60068-2-52 Test Kb: Salt mist, cyclic
IEC 60068-2-52 uses a repeated 2-part salt spray cycle, followed by one with high humidity and elevated temperature. It is designed to assess if products/equipment can withstand exposure to a high salt atmosphere since salt can degrade certain products or materials. The first part of the cycle is exposure to saline or wet mist for two hours. The wet portion of the cycle is 7 days or 20-22 hours, depending on the severity of the test. The number of cycles required depends on the severity of the test. Subsequently, there is a three-day storage period between 21 ° C and 25 ° C and a humidity of 45% to 55%.
IEC 60068-2-64 Vibration, random broadband
This test addresses random broadband vibration and analyzes equipment and products that can experience vibrations of a random nature. Random vibrations occur in shipping and operating environments such as aeroplanes, space vehicles, and ground vehicles. IEC 60068-2-64 assesses that samples can withstand dynamic loads without unacceptable degradation of their functional and/or structural integrity when subjected to specific random vibrations. This test is intended to test products without packaging. Products should be tested in their shipping container when it is part of the sample.
IEC 60068-2-78 Damp heat, steady-state
IEC 60068-2-78 assesses if products or equipment can withstand transportation, storage and use in conditions of high temperature and humidity. The test conditions are high humidity at a constant temperature without condensation in the samples and in a given period. It is applied to equipment or small components, large equipment; and it is applied both in samples that dissipate heat and in samples that do not dissipate heat.
IEC 60068-2-80 Vibration - Mixed mode
The purpose of this test is to determine if the products can withstand mixed-mode vibrations without degrading their functional and/or structural use. Mixed vibrations occur in helicopters and tracked vehicles such as tanks. This method is designed primarily for electromechanical or electronic samples, although it is not limited to other products.
Part 3. IEC 60068-3. Confirmation of benefits
- IEC 60068-3-1 Ed.2.0 b: 2011. Environmental simulation -Part-3-1: -Cold and dry heat tests.
- IEC 60068-3-3 Ed. 2.0 b: 2019. Environmental simulation -Part-3-3: - Seismic test methods for equipment
- IEC 60068-3-4 Ed. 1.0 b: 2001. Environmental simulation - Part 3-4: - Moist heat tests
- IEC 60068-3-5 Ed. 2.0 b: 2018. Environmental simulation - Part 3-5: - Confirmation of the operation of the temperature chambers.
- IEC 60068-3-6 Ed. 2.0 b: 2018. Environmental simulation - Part 3-6: - Confirmation of the operation of the temperature and humidity chambers.
- IEC 60068-3-7 Ed. 1.0 b: 2001. Environmental simulation - Part 3-7: - Measurements in temperature chambers for tests A and B (with load).
- IEC 60068-3-8 Ed. 1.0 b: 2003 Environmental simulation - Part 3-7: - Selection between vibration tests.
- IEC 60068-3-11 Ed. 1.0 b: 2007 Environmental simulation - Part 3-11: - Calculation of the uncertainty of the conditions in climatic test chambers.